Pages

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Me... on me :)

Once upon a time, I was given a test by a company. I was asked to write about myself in 20 minutes. At that time, it looked like a content - writing exercise. Now, it looks like a revelation :)


WHY I HATE TALKING ABOUT MYSELF

I have always wondered why anyone asks the question 'tell me about yourself?'. Do they expect me to tell them the truth and if I am not, then what is the point in answering it? And even if it is the truth, as a human being, can/will I remain true to my description that I gave at that point of time? People change or rather evolve. 'Me' few minutes back will change seconds later into a different 'me'. My facebook 'about me' column reads 'if you are my friend, don't ask me this question ever'. But there is no escape now. I have to squeeze my 26 (or is it 27?) years of life into the next few passages. My assignment calls for a 'total recall'!

MY BAD HABITS ;)
I am a compulsive reader and don't spare even the newspapers that Mirchi Bajjis are packed with. I think I have a sense of humor but it turns out for others as a sense of tumor! (see what I mean?) I am perceived as 'conservative' but, hey, i like pizza! Seriously I welcome anything new that makes life easy and is refreshingly innovative.

I am a responsible citizen of India and the earth. I save electricity, food, water and other scarce resources (like money). I am patriotic to the length of being called 'Ms. Bharath'. I don't defend my country foolishly but in my own little capacity try to make it a better place.

PASSIONATE ABOUT...
I strongly support the cause of education. I believe every child has a right to proper education. I dream of the day when a government school in a village produces students with the same IQ and educational standards as an international school in cosmopolitans. It is always easy to explain to educated lot about corruption, strong hatred that leads to terrorism, civic responsibilites etc.

Films and music are universal languages and I am in awe of them both. In both I am yet to be a professional. My aim is not to be one... but to contribute to those fields as much as I can, in any capacity.

Is this it? Am I done? Oh wait! I strongly believe in destiny. But I am not one of those who does nothing and wait for things to happen, although I'd love to try it sometime. I believe in keeping myself busy with constructive work. And I am mostly successful in doing so.

NOBLE CONFESSIONS
I do not like to brag about it, but I am running out of stuff here. I am educating my 18 year old maid and her sister and they have unofficially passed 2nd class. I teach computer basics to 40 – 60 year old housewives and feel happy when they surprise their oversea 'sons' with their e-mails. I feel happy when my mother operates computer by herself and blogs about telugu traditions, googles 'michael jackson's death' and reads e-paper every day!

I don't judge people and I refuse to be judged. I refuse to be tagged under the names 'nerd' or 'orthodox' for not one word can describe human beings and their vastness.

I am an independent mind. I have taught myself every subject in school/college. My teachers and lecturers, I presumed, were only giving their perspective. And I thought I had to discover mine. It helped! Now I know nothing and have an opinion on everything! Seriously speaking, I did respect my teachers and was always a good student with 80% marks.

Whoever said conscience is a watch dog was speaking about me. My ideals and beliefs are so strongly imbibed in me that one wrong word or action makes me want to kill myself, well, not literally.

Educated and strong women are generally taken to be 'feminists'. I think feminism is the sibling of racism. I am not a feminist as long as a 'saas' is plotting against her 'bahu', or a woman in a superior position is misusing her power. I am rather a humanitarian.

I was asked in the application form about dependants. Well, financially No. Emotionally Yes! Dad, mom and sis (those are not their original names) are my support system. Like charity, democracy too begins at home and though I am the youngest, I always had a 'say' in the matters. 'Reason' and 'sense' are what matter. Not the age of the person speaking them. I thank God everyday for my family. I am not sure if they do the same!

ATHEISTS ARE GOD'S SOURCE OF ENTERTAINMENT!
In my personal opinion, when a man says there is no God, He is up there laughing his lungs out! How would you explain something as complex yet so simple as a human body? Our intestines that can circle the earth twice, our brain that inspired the computer, our skin – the best leather of all! It is a closely guarded scientific fact that doctors with all the advancement in medical science can only understand the human body to the level of 1%! How can we not see God when he makes beautiful people like Hugh Jackman or Katrina Kaif!

GROW UP, MANKIND!
After years of human evolution, I feel sad that a man is still yet to evolve internally. We have the same shortcomings as the cave man or the Iron Age man or the Renaissance man. We had war, we have war. We had ego and jealousy and we have ego and jealousy. I too am a human being and not above these feelings. But one thing my life so far has taught me is to avoid making mistakes but even if you do, be the first to recognize and apologize. I never feel sorry for saying sorry.

People like Aristotle always amaze me. He was an astronomer, writer, philosopher, guru to Alexander the Great, mathematician, political expert! I think we will be too, if we didn't have TV. But if we didn't have TV, I'd have been jobless! Ahh.... its such a vicious circle.

'Talent' – an abundant resource in India but greatly untapped too. In any field, be it sports, arts, politics, academics... there are people waiting for a hand that will pull them from anonymity to fame. I believe that a country will be a developed one in its right sense only if it utilises its talent in its right place, time and capacity. But it is very sad to see this talent rejected, underestimated, conned, avoided and misused. Whenever I meet someone whose talent is yet to see the light of the day, I tell them... 'soon' and sincerely hope so.

Inefficiency is again a pain in our country's neck. You are a clerk.... do your job well. You are a sweeper. You sweep your share of the road cleanly. You are a politician, you take care of your people. You are a teacher, you teach as if your life depended on it. If each and everyone takes his job seriously, I think they are doing so much of service to the country. I might sound idealistic, but isn't it better than pessimism?

INTROSPECTION
I have read somewhere that some important man was passing by Socrates but the great philosopher, lost in his thoughts, didn't pay any attention. The 'important man' asked Socrates 'Who do you think you are?' and Socrates said 'I am yet to discover that'! I guess even after all those passages, I have to say the same.

It is said that when one is dead and goes to St. Peter's gate, his/her whole life is played on a screen (lcd?). And here I am experiencing exactly that... a near death experience!

No comments: