Pages

Friday, July 25, 2008

Gee-Oh!

There is one thing I always wish for my friends and dear ones. That they should never ever have to go to a Government Office. I can't see my talented, intelligent, self-respecting and patriotic friends entering a black hole called the
Government Office.
A GO makes me shudder and tremble. Two things that scare me over there are a. Procedures b. People. I have never been able to understand both. But in my own ignorant way I would want to analyze them
a. Procedures - for any given work to be done in a GO, there is a convoy of forms behind the main application. Certificates, affidavits, NOCs, Gazzetted officer signatures, Declaration letters..... Even if one is missing (and even if we try to substitute it with another equivalent) we are sent back... even after standing for hours in the queue. And the funny thing is, peep outside the office, and you'll find all these for a price. (Rs. 25 for Gazzetted officer signatures, NOCs for sale at Rs. 50 etc.)
Why do they insist on these, even when they know they are fake... jhootha hi sahi?!.
b. People - may be classified into
i. People behind the desk
ii. People before the desk
The people behind the desk are surprisingly the same in all GOs. Snooty, short-tempered, walking all over our egos, always in a hurry to find some fault with the stuff we submit... I wonder if they are taught this in their staff training...
And the people before the desk - I tell you, if you want to see people looking foolish a GO is the place to be. They are not provided the answers to their over flowing doubts... they come to the desks only partly knowing what to do, they are scared to ask the desk staff... Freud would go mad theorizing on why a simple GO clerk successfully scares his fellow human beings. An interesting observation that I made is, when there is a huge line, there are always, as a rule, one or two angry people, who express their frustration... and.... their work is seldom done!!! Isn't it horrifying!
But seriously, its not funny. Why should we always kiss our self respect good bye before going to GOs? Why should we waste hours and hours on a job that could be done in an hour if done efficiently? Why should we not expect proper guidance and patience from the people behind the desk? Why should we have to compromise on our morals and succumb to giving bribes? Why should we shudder at the thought of going to a GO?
I may not know the answers for these.... but I know you've guessed where I have been recently :-)

2 comments:

BADARI said...

hmmm simple..well written...i am always happy i am ...in better organisation....some questions dont have answers....like what is 1/0....for such questions only hope is the only panacea.....

Unknown said...

Agreed.. This is closely linked with Reservation system where a position is filled not based on the qualifications but based on the Caste system. Untill this is controlled you cannot expect to change the thought process of GO.