Pages

Friday, February 13, 2015

I am in love!

I shied away from conversations about love.

I thought it was a cheesy word.

It sounded juvenile and even vulgar.

There was no word to describe people like me.

'Atheist' - one who didn't believe in God.

????? - one who didn't believe in love.

So human beings could conceive the idea of not believing in a God. But the thought never crossed their mind that there would be (or should be) people who did not believe in love?

But trust me, there are people like me. And we had our doubts about love.

To my logical mind, love seemed to be an excuse that is conveniently used -

  • to keep human beings together (like a wonder glue)
  • to carry forth human species (the biggest scam of all)
  • to sell everything from washing machines to films to greeting cards and trashy key chains and red roses (the greedy corporate b******ds and florists)
It was all a conspiracy. Love is a dictator and wants everyone in its power! Love is that irritatingly charming salesman who refuses to leave until the sale is made!

But all this is only till you have had a brush with love.

And then, you will begin to write articles like this!

I am glad I experienced love. 

Not in the sense of a boy and a girl. No. But in a broader sense.

I see love when I see mothers who are surprisingly incapable of hating their children (however demonic they may be)

I see love when fathers go to dreary jobs every single day to provide for their families (except on sundays and public holidays of course)

I see love in promises (and confidences) kept by friends 

Now I see love in a well-designed consumer product. (Even if they use love as their marketing strategy)

I see love even between constantly fighting couples (some of them fight just to pass time, trust me)

I now see love when a person discovers himself and falls in love with his own magnificence.

The Vedas could not describe God in all his glory. So all they could say was "na iti" - not this. 

I think with love too, we can say - 

It is not just a feeling

It is neither the power nor the weakness

It is not just kindness or affection

It is neither attraction nor the absence of it

It is not limited to beauty

It is neither limited to relationships nor actions

It is not exhausted 

It is neither visible nor invisible


And it is definitely not a conspiracy. 

It rather is that silent, formless life force that exists in a body. You know it exists, because you exist. 

No comments: