Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Oh God! What have I done????

"Man's drive for the fountain of knowledge began by asking" (what? directions?). What the heck, I tell you man is plain curious... and needy. So, asking is born out of need just as mother is born out of invention (or something like that).
When we were children, we plainly demanded. But as we grew up,
we started asking courteously (and complexly too) "Do you think it would be appropriate for you to mind me taking a chunk of your time in requesting you to make a coffee for me?" All this to your bewildered 7th grade flunked office boy.
But human beings never have been a problem when it comes to asking. You just have to mug up a few phrases (see the previous para's sentence in quotes for the complete list of the phrases).
But when it comes to asking God....Phew. Whether or not people agree on God's existence , what they do agree on is that He has a sense of humour. (Was the last sentence a paradox or merely stupid?) A very cruel one at that. (I can almost imagine Him giving me a devilish (can I use the word?!) smile even as I write this blog)
Remember how Mahishasura asked for invincibility over everything in all the 14 lokas but forgot to mention women and finally got killed by one? Ravana too forgot to mention "men" and got killed by a man. Hiranyakasyapa was the smartest of the lot. He made an elaborate list of potential assassins and mentioned them along with their genus. God, poor guy, had to show a lot of creativity in killing him. The worse of the lot (and a blot on the race of rakhsasas) is Kumbhakarna who fumbled while asking God for a wish and finally got eternal sleep in return.
May I share with you few recent excerpts from "Common Mistakes in Everyday wishes"
# 1
A friend of mine was an invalid when it came to the art of money making (could as well have said "poor"). He asked God for better financial prospects. To quote him "Dear God, Please see to it that I have atleast Rs. 25,000 in my bank account". Matters didn't improve. Moreover his salary was getting delayed. The month passed, no salary. The next month, my friend received his two months' salary and now he has exactly Rs. 25,000 in his account! Thank God, his wish didn't get fulfilled by a wrong credit in his account. Last seen he is re-phrasing his prayer word by word.
Case # 2
Another friend of mine (too many troubled and pious friends ha) wanted to lose weight. (Imagine... God and weight loss.. Introducing...God's Gym.. lose body weight under the expert guidance of the makers of your body) She asked and I quote "I want to lose 5 kgs by the end of this month" She fell sick and lost 5 kgs. Next month she again asked God "I want to lose weight in a healthy way". Fate took her to a very expensive gym and she lost just 3 kgs ("healthy" remember??). She is going to wait till next month and ask "I want to lose 5 kgs of my body's excess weight in a healthy way without spending too much money". Wonder what will happen then. God knows. ( I mean... literally).
All these years I have been praying to God for World Peace. But given the number of deaths in floods, earth quakes, terrorist attacks, train and plane accidents I wonder if He perceived World Peace to be lack of human being menace on earth.
Oh God! What have I done??????

7 comments:

Swathi said...

:) inspired by asking may i ask u wht u exactly asked god to get this creativity in u. :)
chaala bavundi.

Swati said...

I guess tats y they say,when god gives u wat u want, be happy,when he doesnt, be happier. Wat is the true definition of prayer anyway? N wats the confusion of a prayer wit a wish list.. tats a thought to ponder on.But,I must say my dear trriya..loved ur last para.Do send me more of ur blog links :) Capital! Fine reading! hug :)
Urs truly..Toying! or like u spell it Toyi!

Sushma & Sowmya said...

Def of prayer:
1. a devout petition to God or an object of worship.
2. a spiritual communion with God or an object of worship, as in supplication, thanksgiving, adoration, or confession

I guess that answers a lot of questions... People first pray (for something) and then pray (to thank and again ask something). Few very rare souls apply the second definition to "prayer". But my blog in all honesty is dedicated to the first kind :-)

Unknown said...

heyyyaaaaaaaa.....i likes......rock on.....

Swati said...

Ahem.. wats the true defintion of prayer antey mari dictionary lonchi ivala? trriya..trriya! ey tuney kya kiya? lol!
Wait.. will make it worse.. prayer can also be..
1.The act of communicating with a deity (especially as a petition or in adoration or contrition or thanksgiving)
2.Reverent petition to a deity
3.Earnest or urgent request
4.A fixed text used in praying
5.Someone who prays to God

I like no 3!hehe.

Unknown said...

the art of asking :

A friend of mine was in deaddiction center and asked the head of the center if he could smoke while he was praying...it back fired

another bloke asked if he could pray while he smoked and he was accorded prvlg

so learn the art of asking....i asked for one collar and a decent pair of pants and i did not get it...guess i should learn it too

keep murphys laws in mind while asking....the one person you didnt think would kill you will shoot an arrow in the navel or rip open your chest or make you burn yourself to ashes...oh gory images

Anonymous said...

I was reading story in Eenadu Sunday specail. Normally i dont see who is the author of the story. However after readding the story I was cusrious to see who has writeen it. I reallly enjoyed it. It well crafted and well writeen, there was always smile on my face when i was reading story. Just wanted to share that.
Regards
Prabahkar